Friday, July 10, 2015

How Badly Does It Stink?

There is one fruit banned in most hotels and apartments throughout Cambodia and that fruit is called the durian fruit. I know that some places in New York City have banned this fruit as well and some airlines will not allow it on the flight

Chanseng, our guide, told us that the first half hour is okay but after that it begins to smell.  Our driver had the best quote when he said it "smell like hell, taste like heaven". 

I have developed the Humeny habit of smelling everything before tasting and after that I couldn't put it in my mouth.

Fred had a small bite while Jim tried to be polite and had two bites....until he said "I think that will be my last". The look on his face was priceless.

Alice tried to convince us that it tasted pretty good once you swallowed it....who is going to fall for that?

The fruit is only grown in the mountain areas which makes it very expensive for
Cambodians....Chanseng and Mr. Ha were eager to finish what we started, saying they loved it.

Does it leave stinky breath.  Only time will tell!





While I was writing this blog Fred told me that the fruit looked like larvae....appetizing, isn't it?




2 comments:

alijimpip said...

Yes it did taste ok once you convinced yourself to swallow it--- honest! The real bad news was that Jim accidentally sat on some. Those shorts were washed pronto.

ars said...

Yes, I remember it well. I was presented with a durian when in Malaysia. It didn't even make it past the "Humeny Smell Test". That "Test" sure comes in handy now & again!