Monday, July 3, 2023

Trains and Retreats

We might have to think about replacing Fred as our human GPS! We left the hotel at 9:30 this morning with plans to take the train to Trastevere.  We didn’t arrive until 12:30! Not all his fault as we found out that Italians are just as bad as Mexicans….. if you don’t know the answer to a question then the proper thing to do is make up any anything and thus we were sent from one station to another.

We walked from the hotel to the train nearby and I slowed everything down by taking a tumble and scraping my knee and elbow a bit.  Retreat number one…. back to the hotel to wash up and find bandaids and Polysporin.  I may have done a little damage to my rib too!

The second, third and fourth retreats were rather confusing to a directionally challenged person like me.  I have no idea which stations we were directed to, but I did hear Alice say “we have been at this station three times”! Taxis may have come into play in this scenario too!

The last time we had to retrace our steps was to find Villa Farnesina to view works by Raphael. We walked past the area where the Villa is located and when we finally asked someone we found that we had to walk right back to where we started. The way the day was going, we weren’t surprised to find the Villa closed for the moving of the art.

Today was very much taking one step forward and two back!

We did find time to have a nice meal in Trastevere…and maybe an Aperol Spritz to go with it! I may have tried two to dull the pain of my fall… it didn’t work!





 

1 comment:

Billee said...

A spritz makes everything okay!