Friday, July 14, 2023

Hot Day

 On Thursday (July 13th) we were driven from Petra to Wadi Rum for the yurt adventure. It was a very hot day when we arrived at our destination….I think Alice said it best when she said “think convection oven”. I’m not sure what the temperature ended up at but I think 39 C sticks in my head.

Our driver dropped us off at the Jeep office and from there we were in the hands of the Bedouins….they put our luggage in the back of a small half ton and crammed four bodies (not including the driver) into the small truck body.

We were driven about ten minutes into the desert and taken to our accommodations….a panoramic yurt! As I said before, they uncover the yurt at 5:30 and recover it in the morning at 9:00. Quite the process to keep the place cool.




Closer to sunset we were driven to see some of the sites nearby… sand dunes, cliffs and of course the sunset.


We made another stop while waiting for the sun to drop and got a chance to observe the Bedouins at work.





It was a great day and I am so glad we took the time to explore this area.












4 comments:

Don Juan said...

Is that hot tea you are having? I guess they say drinking hot tea on a hot day is the trick to staying cool.
I think the yurt and the evening sky and stars would be one of my highlights so far. Looks amazing.
Adelle

colleen said...

The rest were having the hot tea but I stuck with water. Muslim territory so not even a beer after a hot day!

alijimpip said...

The sand was even redder than it looks here......think MARS (not that I've ever been there)......and yes, the hot tea does cool you off and the night sky a def highlight.

alijimpip said...

AND one more thing about the drive into the desert.... a few min after we left camp our driver got stuck in some ruts and jokingly ( we think) asked us to get out and push, but then was able to rock back and forth like we do in snow--- and we were out.