Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hue

We spent yesterday touring the surrounding neighbourhoods, near our Hanoi hotel, picking up lots of souvenirs that we don't have room for. This is one of the major downfalls of taking small rolling backpacks

The sights on the streets still amaze me with all the activity and what I think is organized chaos. Obviously, it works for them.


Today we had a 6:00 am flight from Hanoi to the city of Hue, in central Vietnam. Hue is located very near the Vietnam War's (they call it the American war) demilitarized zone and it suffered considerable damage from bombs and street fighting. The city is in the process of rebuilding the Imperial Enclosure, which is where we spent most of the day.


The enclosure is huge and I know we didn't do it justice, but we did the best we could. Some of the structures are beautiful and others are the way they have been for years. The enclosure has a moat and ten ornate gates guarding a palace, temples, gardens and tombs. Its most prominent feature is a flag tower..





Hue is also famous for its blistering hot and dry season from May to August and I can attest to that - take a look at my new hat! When in Rome....


And it only cost me 20 000 Dong which is equal to $1.00!

I had the setting wrong on my camera so some of the pictures have a strange look to them, but they still show what I intended.



2 comments:

alijimpip said...

Colleen, maybe this trip will get you started on straw hat collection to add to your ball caps. Next stop you'll be buying a conical hat.

Senor Ping said...

We have been reading your blog every day with interest. What a a fascinating and amazing vacation. Continue on!