Friday, July 9, 2010

Whirling Dervish




We attended a Whirling Dervish performance tonight and I think I can speak for us all when I say it was great. The ceremony was solemn and quite intense. The music was excellent and the dancers were very spiritual, almost like being in a trance.

The Whirling Dervish celebrate their Islamic beliefs through the dance which has many different religious movements. According to one member of our group, they make 48 revolutions per minute - of course, he was dizzy by the end of their routine!

2 comments:

wannabe hombre said...

believe it or not, I actually saw this on an episode of the 'Amazing Race' a few years ago. I beleive the 'contestants' had to do it for 15 minutes or something like that. I guess Jim would have been eliminated, if he got dizzy just from watching! :)

colleen said...

What makes you think it was Jim?