Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Perogy Trail

It started innocently enough, but it didn't take long for this idea to have a life of its own....perogies everyday we were in Poland and Ukraine! Everyday, with no exception!

On the first day in Poland, we found a small traditional restaurant devoted to perogies. They were "almost" the best I have ever tasted. That's when it started!



Sorry Jim..everyone has to have at least one of "these" pictures on the blog.



We tried many types of perogy available, ranging from sauerkraut, cranberry, cheese, Ruskie, meat and deep fried. The cranberry perogies were not a big hit and were ever after called the "bleeders". My travelling companions were far more adventurous than I and were willing to tackle any type, not always successfully.

Fred and I stayed on the trail even after we left Alice and Jim in Lviv and, in fact, had perogies twice in one day. We were attending a local festival when we tried our least favourite perogy - a cheese perogy that was cooked on the BBQ. We bought four of them thinking they were called cheese perogies because of the filling, but they were actually made completely from cheese - no dough. They even squeeked when you bit into them.



We did add to our perogy feast by having local side dishes, some good, some not so good.

Fried potato pancakes.

Pickled appetizers.

Soup sampler.

We tried to have Jim vary his menu by trying the pig's knuckle frequently found on every menu... no luck!

Pigs knuckles.

Following the perogy trail was great fun, but I can honestly say I have had my fill for awhile. As Alice said, "We would all look like the Pilsbury Doughboy if it weren't for the thousand stairs we climbed everyday!"

1 comment:

ars said...

Oh, I would've thought I'd died and went to perogy heaven!! What more could a person want...perogy, beer, and pickles! I'd pass on the piggy's knuckles too!