Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Yaqui Indians




The Yaqui Indians are an ancient Mexican tribe who live in the mountains east of Guaymas. They are a very religious group and each year during Lent they choose young men to walk to towns and cities to perform religious dances.

The Yaquis [usually two or three per group] dance their way through various establishments in San Carlos seeking donations of money for their tribe. The most common dance is the Stag Dance which they perform with small flutes, drums and rattles.

They are not allowed to speak to each other or tourists and we have always been told by Mexicans not to speak to or touch them. It was very surprising when they motioned me to join them for a picture and even more surprising when one put his hand on my shoulder - don't I look scared?

The Yaquis remain in San Carlos for the duration of Lent and they are a common sight at many functions such as the Chili cookoff.

2 comments:

Senor Ping said...

I remember these guys, and their constant "Yak, yak, yak, yak yak" thus their name.

colleen said...

Somewhat resembling a 'tribe of Teachers' - pardon me, I mean Educators.

fh