Sunday, March 27, 2011

University Class



I spent Saturday morning speaking to a class at a small university in Empalme. The students are 20 to 21 year olds taking classes in Engineering and Administration. They take extra classes on Saturday, hoping to improve their English skills.

We were not allowed to speak any Spanish so it was a one-sided conversation at times. There were 16 students with only one or two of them having basic English skills.

We talked about Saskatchewan and Alberta, making comparisons between Mexico and Canada. The students were especially interested in the climate and the cost of living. The most difficult part of the session was trying to explain the sport of curling. Absolutely no success with that one!


After the class, we sat around trying to carry on a conversation in English. I'm so glad we did that and I didn't have to put my Spanish skills on display!



Fred joined us in the small cafeteria after class meeting some of the students. I assume the session was successful as they asked me back again. Maybe in the fall!

No comments: