Friday, February 19, 2010

The Climbing of Tetakawi


Yesterday, twenty-two women attempted to climb Tetakawi - the landmark overlooking San Carlos. We met at the base of the mountain [coming from Canada it is difficult to call these mountains] at 8:30. They called this a physically demanding climb, but I was sure they were mistaken because from the base it doesn't look difficult. How wrong I was!!!! If you look carefully at the picture above you can see a tiny hole [in the V]. Our goal was to crawl through that to get to another path.



The first third of the climb was a comfortable, moderate hike. The difficult part came after this. Before we started, the leaders stressed the need for safety and when we reached the second phase of the climb I could understand their warning. We needed to climb over boulders and avoid loose rocks.

I was able to reach the top not too far behind the regular hikers. Coming down was a different story. It took me over two hours to make the descent. It was steep and my hiking gear needed a little upgrading - runners just don't work on rock faces.






We spent a very rewarding hour at the top with many photos being taken from all angles. I was able to get to the edge and have my picture taken just underneath the highest point.

I am very glad I made the climb even with all the scratches from cacti and bruises on my butt from the climb down. A butt descent is the only way down in many places. The long pants and leather gloves we were told to wear definitely helped me!



This morning I am not as stiff as I thought I would be. I assume that is because of how we chose to rehydrate ourselves after the climb - beer at the Soggy Peso!

2 comments:

Bizee said...

That's amazing, Colleen! Way to go! What beautiful scenery!

~ Trina

colleen said...

Thanks!