Friday, June 20, 2008

Little Italy



Another day on our feet! We bought a 7 day unlimited subway pass, but we still do an enormous amount of walking. Today we took the 'E' Train to lower Manhattan and wound our way back to the hotel. In the meantime, we toured Chinatown, Little Italy, the Lower East Side and eventually took a stroll down Park and 5th Avenues. The change in lifestyles is very noticeable with homeless people very prominent in the Chinatown area and nothing but "bling" on 5th Avenue.

We stopped for a bite to eat at Katz's Deli which was made famous by the much talked about scene from "When Harry Met Sally". I actually talked with Mr. Katz and he assured me that the deli was famous long before the movie was filmed there.

We feel a little sheepish about our evenings, but we have stuck with habits that have served us best over the years. We eat a mid-afternoon meal at a restaurant or tavern recommended in travel journals, and then head home around 5:00. We eat a late snack of bagels and peanut butter in our room and call it a day. The bright lights of New York and Broadway have no appeal as of yet.

I am so excited about tomorrow's visit to Yankee Stadium! I feel like I have been waiting my whole life to see this park and I can hardly wait - just like a kid on Christmas Eve. The game starts at 1:05, but I have 'suggested' to Fred that we have to be there by 10:30 so I can tour the 'House That Ruth Built'.

No comments: